Since the day Apple announced the all new iOS 7, it has attracted plenty of discussion over how bad & how good the design of it has been & also, how the minimalist design took many cues from the Windows 8. I am, definitely liking the use of translucent UI that completely changes the color scheme, simply by changing the wallpaper. However, the IOS 7’s White keyboard is a bit of concern for many of us & me to not like it much.
The White keyboard on IOS 7 appears too bright sometimes, but, Apple does allow developers to change the keyboard colors (White or Dark) within their apps & BBM for iOS does use the Black keyboard which looks a lot better than the White one.
In one of the recent iOS 7.1 Beta updates, Apple decided to allow users to change keyboard’s color to either dark or bright version & later decided against it with the most recent iOS 7 Beta that we saw. It seems, Apple won’t allow it in the final version of iOS 7.1, which is scheduled for release on March 15, 2014.
Important update for iOS 7.1 Users
Hey folks, I know we all badly need the dark keyboard on our devices, but Apple ditched us by removing the dark keyboard option from the Accessibility settings on iOS 7.1 public release yesterday.
Also, since now you’re already on iOS 7.1 — you cannot jailbreak it as yet & probably need to wait. I know its bad, but that’s what it is now.
But, there is a good news for jailbroken iOS 7 devices (devices without 7.1 installed) .You can always jailbreak it. Go to http://evasi0n.com & DIY in less than 10 mins & then follow the rest of this article.
ColorY0urBoard, a free (& paid) jailbreak tweak allows applying different colors to the keyboard in iOS 7, all thanks to the developer MoonWolf for releasing the free version to try, through the Bigboss repo.
- Open Cydia & let it update the database
- Go to search & find ‘ColorY0urBoard’
- You should see two different versions, the one titled in Blue is a paid & one in Black, is a free version.
- Download any of your preferred versions. I am demoing the free version here.
- Respring your device
- This tweak doesn’t have any option under the Settings app; instead, it creates a separate icon on your home screen itself. Locate it & open
- Pick any color of the six provided for the free app.
- From top-left, make sure to you hit ‘Turn-on’ to force these colors on the keyboard.
- Click ‘Save’ from top-right
- Remember that, to see the changed color – you must fully refresh the app. Means, you must QUIT the app; you want to test the new keyboard’s color, from the multi-tasking menu.
- Re-open the app (for eg. Messages / Notes / Reminder, or any) & tap to type to see the keyboard.
- You should now see the changed color. That’s it.
- You can also change to some other color using the same method.
If you’re already excited & if you want to play with & use your favorite color shade for the keyboard, you will need a paid version of this tweak. The pro version offers a full color wheel & a transparency slider to get that perfect color for the keyboard.
It looks best if you choose a color that suits your wallpaper color scheme.
How you like tweak for changing keyboard colors on your iOS 7 device. Enjoy.