Table of Contents
We all like colors and we do have a personal favorite list of colors too. But it is a difficult task for most of us when we want to decide or pick up a scheme of colors for home decor, documents, presentations, websites, wedding cards or for any design.
I am a visualizer and I too get double minded while I try to zero down on a color scheme. Sometimes I happen to use the colors from my personal favorites and end up not liking it either by me or the client or even getting bored with the same schemes by using them over and over 🙂
Color schemes play very vital role in presenting. If you choose the right colors in proper amount then the presentation is half done, though choosing colors and their measure is not easy for people from academically non-artist background.
Recently I came across this great community based website and its iPhone app that exactly solves the difficult problem of choosing color schemes, patterns and their colors etc.
COLOURlovers is an international community of designers and artists of all kinds who visit the site to get color inspiration, ideas and feedback for both their professional and personal projects.
COLOURlovers’ loyal members create colors, palettes and patterns to nurture their ongoing love affair with color. They join color-inspired groups and forums and share the love by commenting on their favorite creations. The COLOURlovers blog fuels the world’s online discussion of color with its entertaining posts on color trends and news, including interviews.
505,549 Members have created 3,463,059 Colors, 1,458,740 Palettes and 1,300,330 Patterns.
How to use it?
Simply go to COLORlovers website (link given below) and start exploring. It does not take more than 10 minutes to understand how it works. So I would not go into details of explaining the UI this time.
There are few unique useful features I would like to mention are
- Simple and Easy to use layout
- Huge number of color schemes and patterns available
- Each scheme has a definite amount of every color used to make sure it’s a visual treat
- On the details page for each scheme has color names, HEX values to use on the web and RGB values mentioned.
- If you pick a color scheme then with a single click you can create a pattern using it and can even choose more pattern design using the same scheme
- A lot of pre-sorted categories to choose from like Wedding, Home, Fashion, Web, Print, Craft. And you can still use these for anything you want.
- Hi-res pattern images available for download.
- Pick up colors from an image / photo to use in a scheme
- You can browse a photograph on iStock based on your colors
It also has an iPhone app of their own through which you can browse or create schemes at your fingertips.
COLORschemer iPhone App
Simple to use and effective, handy app available to pick up the suitable color scheme. This app is available for $2.99 on the iTunes store.
A must have online tool with great features. Very handy and useful. Enjoy coloring. 🙂