Table of Contents
BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) just stepped one-up to join the league of Android Market and Apple App Store, by launching their own app store called BSNL Apps Store. This new value added service is available for prepaid and postpaid mobile subscribers using 2G, 2.5G and 3G services across India.
BSNL customers can now download free or buy paid apps available for mobile handsets from BSNL Live portal.
The best part is, if you want to buy a paid app then you do not need to pay using credit or a debit card. The cost for selected application will get deducted from the available balance for prepaid account or added in to the monthly bill in case of postpaid customers. Paid apps are starting from as low as Rs. 8/-
Samsung Apps was the first store to make similar arrangements for customer convenience.
Remember: Browsing charges using BSNL Internet on mobile is different from the paid application price.
What is BSNL Apps Store
The BSNL Apps Store is a one stop shop for all BSNL Mobile (2G/2.5G/3G) customers to buy and download applications for use on their handsets. An application is a software which you can download on your handset for personal use e.g. Calorie Calculator etc.
How to use BSNL Apps Store?
- Step 1: Make sure you have GPRS facility activated on your BSNL mobile.
- Step 2: Avail BSNL Live settings by sending the text message in following format:
<mobile make> space <handset model> to 58355 e.g. <Nokia> space <N79> to 58355.
- Step 3: You should now receive settings to save on mobile. Make sure to save them as default or as a bookmark, depending upon your phone.
- Step 4: Open web browser on phone and connect to BSNL Live which should appear as ‘bsnl live’
- Step 5: Click on ‘BSNL Apps Store’ icon available on the BSNL Live home page.
- Step 6: Once there, choose any app from the available categories.
- Step 7: If the app is free it will show a ‘Download’ link & if it is paid then it will prompt for ‘Buy & Download’. Free apps can be downloaded & installed immediately.
- Step 8: Once downloaded & installed you can return to Apps Store or launch installed app
Remember: Cost for any paid app will get deducted from prepaid balance or added in monthly bill. No need to use credit or debit card.
What are the charges for using BSNL Apps Store
- Free download
- One-time payment – you are charged one time prior to download.
- Subscription payment – can be per month, per week or per day. Per month model gives you a first 30 day access to the application with automatic 30 day renewals till you cancel. Similarly per week gives you 7 day access and per day gives you 24 hour access.
- Data charges for browsing/Downloading/network-aware apps are extra & as per Data plan opted by you.
Which apps are compatible with your handset?
The BSNL Apps Store will display apps that are only compatible with your handset. This is the reason, it is mandatory to browse the Apps Store on mobile phone with a BSNL mobile service.
Well, this is really a positive step taken by a PSU unit – BSNL, which is among the top 5 Internet Service providers in India. Whether BSNL can keep this service updated with new apps like what Android and Apple are doing is something we should look forward to.
BSNL needs to work really hard on providing better User Interface because all of their current portals do not look neat & tidy compared to other service providers around the World.
Source BSNL Apps Store