Amazon today pushed yet another upgrade to their Kindle Fire series tablets called ‘Kindle Fire HDX’ & comes with powerful hardware, new software features and a 24/7 live tech support via ‘Mayday’ button. Kindle HDX is available for pre-order from today on Amazon website & will be released on November 7, 2013
There are two main models for Kindle Fire HDX just like – Samsung TAB3 series – 7 inches & 8.9 inches; both models have their variations depending upon memory options (16GB, 32GB or 64GB), with special offers or without, Connectivity options (WiFi-only, 4G+WiFi AT&T – GSM or 4G+WiFi Verizon – CDMA)
Kindle Fire HDX is packed with quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, truly HD display with 336 ppi density, both rear & front HD cameras. See detailed hardware specification below…
Key Features of Kindle Fire HDX
- HDX Display: Stunning HD display with improved brightness, reduced glare
- Faster Processor & RAM: Three times faster processing power with double the RAM from earlier models
- Lighter & stronger: 34% lighter than earlier models and yet durable with magnesium uni-body design
- Improved battery: 12-hour battery life with up to 18 hours when reading books.
- HD Cameras: Both front and rear cameras are capable of recording HD videos
- Dedicated Mayday button for 24/7 on-device tech support: Amazon with this release introduced 24/7 on-device tech support that guides you through any Fire HDX features
- Prime Instant Downloads: Amazon Prime members can instant download content even when on a plane, in a car or when – not online 🙂
- All new X-ray feature for music displays line-by-line lyrics & shows trivia or character back-stories when watching movies or TV shows
- Improved production support with enhanced apps & few enterprise features like VPN, encryption and printing from Kindle are coming soon.
- Powered with Android – Amazon also brings Mojito, a new Fire OS 3.0 to Kindle HDX with features such as Grid views, Second screen, Amazon Cloud services and hundreds such new features
- Custom Dolby Audio – a new audio technology in Kindle HDX that automatically decides the best optimized sound quality depending upon what user is doing such as; watching a movie, listening to music or talking on Skype.
- Display: 339 ppi pixel density, 2560 x 1600px resolution, 100% sRGB offering perfect color accuracy (less in case of 7inch Fire HDX)
- Processor: 2.2 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor with Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM: 2GB
- Storage : 16GB (8.8 usable), 32GB (25GB usable), 64GB (54.3GB usable)
- Battery: Up to 12 hours for all activities & up to 18 hours for when only reading. Less in case of high usage
- Connectivity: WiFi, 4G, USB 2.0, Bluetooth
- Camera: 8MP rear camera with LED Flash & front facing 720p HD camera
- Dual Microphone, Dual Speakers, Bluetooth accessory support for keyboards, headsets or speakers
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 inches is packed with so many needed features that – it looks amazingly competitive with other popular brands in the market such as Samsung Tab 3 and Nexus 7.
However, I am doubtful in terms of long-term performance, purely because of the bloated software that’s being forced on to it. I am not saying it’s useless because, it certainly would help a type of users, including those who would be using the live tech support button. And, I would have liked if the bloat-ware came as an optional install.
Downloading content without Internet, is such a cream that any Amazon Prime user would love to have. No external storage option, no color options, are a kind of disappointment considering even Apple has gone colorful recently.
Rest, looks inviting enough to buy this tablet & I can’t wait to compare between Samsung Tab 3 & Kindle Fire HDX. I shall update you soon. Write in comments below if you have any questions or feedback to share about the new Kindle Fire HDX