Table of Contents
Apple on March 2, 2011 held an event in San Francisco to launch their two products. iPad 2 and iOS 4.3. I am trying to put together some information about iPad 2 which seems more interesting than iPad 1. This is a long post to read, but I hope it is informative enough to clear few doubts.
iPad created a buzz and war in touch tablet market all over the world. Every other company followed the footsteps of Apple to create their own iPad just like everyone almost copied iPods & iPhones to compete in the market.
But iPad failed to create its own market and users, as Apple successfully did it for iPods, iPod Touch and iPhones. Why? Because of its price against the features it had to offer.
Even though with iPad 2 price vs features ratio hasn’t changed way too much, but it certainly has some features to attract more buyers than iPad 1.
What it is all about? Let me put into simpler format.
Should I buy iPad 2? Or should I buy a Laptop?
This is the top question for many of us who likes Apple products and are very much inclined to buy everything or anything that Apple produces. There is a lot of difference between how laptop works & how iPad works. In fact, that’s the reason Apple is still producing MacBooks. Simple.
iPad is a fantastic more than replacement to the Netbooks than Notebooks.
Netbooks are primarily used to browse the Internet, do some work while browsing, chat, video conference, watch movies, play arcade games etc.
Notebooks are used for all above yet they can be used for production. We can do everything on a Notebook / Laptop that we can do on a Desktop computer.
iPad 2 is very useful, if you:
- Are you using notebooks and want to shift to Apple
- Want to stay connected online while travelling
- Do not own an iPhone
- Own an iPhone & want a bigger screen
- Likes playing iOS games and want a bigger screen
- Want to create meeting videos & edit them
- Have more money to buy an expensive netbook instead on Laptop
- Have a micro-SIM card to use with 3G version of an iPad
- Are you a Sketching Artist, Musician who can take advantage of multi-touch screen other than for playing games like
- Like latest gadgets in your room
- Do not want Flash in your browser
- Want iPad 2 anyway
- Some pointers above may sound weird, but the ultimate answer is, iPad 2 is not for everyone. Really. My suggestion to all those who want to buy iPad or iPad 2 is that you must see iPad in action before you actually buy it. Check with friends, neighbors or colleagues to see if anyone around owning one. If you like it and think this is what you were looking for then go visit the Apple Store right away.
iPad 1 is now taken out from production and is only available in stores till stocks last. Since iPad 2 is launched with tons of new features than iPad 1, there is no need to get yourself an iPad 1 unless it is free 🙂
What’s new in iPad 2
There are many new features. Lets check them
- The first thing you will notice without switching it ON is its thickness (thinness). IPad 2 is 8.8 mm thinner than 13.4 mm of iPad 1.
- The name of this product is iPad 2. So make sure you’re seeing or buying an iPad 2 & not (just) iPad.
- It has 1GHz Dual-Core Apple A5 high-performance & low-power system processor. Which means, it is twice faster and it has 9 times better, faster graphics performance. Good for hi-res videos & games.
- It has 2 cameras. One in front and one on the back.
- Front camera is useful for video chats & video calls like through Skype. This camera is capable of recording VGA quality Video & VGA quality photo.
- Camera on the back is useful for hi-res video recording or photos. It can record HD 720p video at 30 fps with audio.
- Up to 10 hrs of battery for surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos, or listening to music. Earlier it was up to 6 hrs.
- New sleek design.
- Additional interesting accessory ‘Smart Cover’ is available.This is a great find by Apple I must say. It’s possible to use this cover to create a stand for iPad 2.
- New Photobooth app
- iMovie for iPad to be available soon. Very handy video editing tool with having a bigger screen advantage.
- Great inbuilt music instruments to play with. Again bigger screen is an advantage here. It’s difficult to use these on the iPhone due to screen size,
- The best feature is Video Mirroring. You can connect iPad 2 to any HDTV through Apple Digital AV Adapter accessory cable to show your iPad screen, presentations on even larger screens with 1080p video resolution.
- There is a iPad Camera Connection Kit accessory available. It is now possible to connect a Digital Camera or attach an SD Card Reader through a 30 pin connector.
- Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through with Apple Digital AV Adapter
Can I connect additional USB hard drive?
iPad 2 is available in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions. But,
Yes. With USB slot available through iPad Camera Connection Kit accessory it is possible to connect additional storage devices to iPad. But it needs to be jailbroken to take benefit of this accessory. Then additional storage can be used for file formats other than just photos and videos.
I will write more about it later. Meanwhile, you can search on Google about it.
Which iPad 2 variation to choose?
iPad is available in 2 distinct models. One is only with WiFi while another is with 3G & WiFi.
- Only WiFi: Choose this if you plan to use iPad only in areas with WiFi connectivity like your home and / or office.
- 3G + WiFi: This is the best to choose if you are going to use iPad while travelling. Makes sense to take advantage of connectivity through your SIM card for when WiFi is not available.
iPad 2 will hit the stores on March 11, 2011. iOS 4.3 will be available for download from the same date. One must unlock an iPad 2 brought from other countries if s/he want to use it in India.
Apple Video about iPad 2
iPad 2 Unboxing Videos
Funny Video about iPad 2
So, Buy iPad 2 if you can afford it (no hard feeling please) and use its unique features which any other Netbook / Notebook cannot offer. And if you completely understand flexibility in use that PC Netbook offers but iPad does not.
Do share your views, information through the comments. I would be more than happy to read.