WordPress is one of the most popular content management system (CMS), probably due to its affordability and numerous features that are useful in creating an inspiring business website. It is an opensource platform that allows you to create a unique site with customized themes, easy to use tools and plugins that enable you to extend new functionality to your website. Moreover, the WordPress platform is SEO compatible thanks to the various SEO plugins, which gives site owners the ability to optimize their WordPress for better search engine rankings.
Why Do You Need WordPress SEO Plugins?
Digital marketing tactics have been overtaking traditional offline strategies and businesses are trying to capitalize on every online promotional technique at their disposal to establish and maintain a strong online presence. One of the most effective digital marketing tools is the website, but there are many factors that work closely together to maximize the success of your website. When your site is not SEO friendly, it can be hard to reach and engage your target audience. Most website owners prefer using WordPress for their site due to its ease of use and its friendliness with search engines such as Google.
To improve your SEO rankings requires you to choose the best host for your site which ensures high speed and performance. SEO plugins are also very important to streamline your SEO strategies for your WordPress site. Luckily, there are a variety of SEO plugins, but it is vital to select the best for your site. First, you need to consider whether the plugin is compatible with your hosting platform as well as the user support for the plugin. You need also to consider a plugin that makes your SEO efforts easier and effective. Below we explore the top five WordPress SEO plugins that will boost your digital marketing campaign.
Top 5 WordPress SEO Plugins
Yoast SEO is one of the most downloaded SEO plugins. It is a comprehensive tool for all your SEO needs. It is mainly used for on-page optimization and allows optimization of Meta keywords, titles and Meta descriptions among other features that make your product page stand out. Yoast also offers a great user interface and impressive auto updates. The tool can also connect with search engine tools such as Google search console and webmaster tools and Bing webmaster tools to help you when submitting a sitemap.
Benefits of Using Yoast SEO
- One of the major benefits is the SEO Yoast community forum and website with premium support options and more advanced SEO features. These features include keyword optimization, internal link suggestions, informative SEO blogs, and SEO courses.
- Keyword optimization analysis – The plugin allows you to analyze your keywords for optimization on pages and posts.
- Google search engine preview – To adjust the Meta descriptions and titles making them more appealing to search engines.
- Readability Checks – Scans all the pages to determine the need for breaking your content into paragraphs or adding to add more readability elements.
- It also detects any duplicate content.
- The premium version offers the redirect manager, free support, ad-free backend interface, and content insights.
All-in-One SEO Pack
All-in-one SEO pack is a close alternative for Yoast SEO and offers an almost complete suite of SEO backend tools. The premium plugin provides more advanced features and support for longer than Yoast.
Benefits of Using All-in-One SEO Pack
- Advanced WooCommerce support suitable for online stores.
- Automatically sends all sitemaps to Google and Bing.
- Auto-generates all Meta tags with the option to edit manually.
- Available in 57 languages.
The premium version offers impressive user support like the knowledge centers, support forums, and video screencasts.
The SEO Squirrly is a user-friendly suite without any complicated elements, ideal for beginners. To get SEO recommendations, you start by typing in the article topic with the desired keywords.
Benefits of Using SEO Squirrly
- Real-time keyword optimization when writing the article making it easier than Yoast where you need to save the article first to view the results and suggestion.
- It has a competition analysis tool to see how you can outdo your competitors.
- If it replaces an old WordPress plugin, it maintains the previous settings.
- Generates content reports and weekly monitoring reports which give inspiration on how to improve your content.
This is a perfect option for users looking for a fast and lightweight SEO tool for WordPress sites. It focuses more on maintaining high site speeds and provides more flexible options for targeting keywords. It is considered a great alternative to Yoast and All-in-One Pack. Its interface has a colored scale that shows your progress on making your post search engine ready and pointing out where you need adjustments. The plugin is all-inclusive with a number of extensions such as article enhancement, local SEO, AMP integration and redirects among others.
Benefits of Using SEO Framework
- The SEO framework is a free plugin that offers advanced SEO features.
- User-friendly search engine performance checks with the visual, colored scale.
- Provides local SEO extension for sites that need to set up and display local business information.
- Most of the SEO settings are preconfigured minimizing the setup task after installation.
- Ideal for both beginners and advanced users.
SEO framework offers a number of extensions for free hence no need to pay for premium features as is the case with Yoast and All in One. Additionally, instead of focusing on keyword, it focuses on the subject thus encouraging more natural content building.
PS: At the time of writing this article, we’re using this plugin.
Broken Link Checker
There is more to SEO than keyword optimization and writing readable content. Going through your site to discover and remove any broken links will help enhance user experience hence boost your SEO rankings. Furthermore, your audience has no business with any 404 error page (broken link). However, it can be tedious and almost impractical to sift through all the site pages to locate the broken links and that is why you need the Broken Link Checker. The plugin scans through all your content and generates a list of all the broken links within a few minutes so that you can either remove or edit the links.
When left active, the plugin keeps searching through the site and notifies whenever a link breaks.
Benefits of using the Broken Link Checker
- Enables link modifications from the plugin’s primary page.
- Provides the option to search and filter links.
- The plugin also monitors custom fields, comments, and other elements.
- Optional features that prevent search engines from following broken links on your site.
- Detects missing images, redirects or anything that might confuse the reader.
All the above 5 SEO plugins provide multiple SEO features eliminating the need for having so many plugins installed to serve the same purpose. Yoast is considered the most complete and rich snippet and settings page. However, Yoast requires a number of settings before use which makes it a bit confusing for novice users. The plugin is available for free though you need to pay to access premium features and support.
The premium Yoast SEO sells at $89 per site but even the free version offers better SEO features than most plugins. On the other hand, All in One Pack is free but you can pay $57 for premium support, $97 p.a. license fee for up to 10 sites and $419 p.a. for unlimited sites. The premium version is preferred for its support for WooCommerce sites, video SEO module, and other advanced features. Yeast SEO is ideal for one site SEO strategies while All in One Pack is most suitable when running SEO for a number of websites especially the online stores.
The SEO Framework provides features that are similar to Yoast and All in One plugin but focuses more on improving the site speed having more to do with the visual nature of SEO ratings. The plugin has extensions that provide advanced SEO features at no additional cost. You don’t have to pay for premium features making it a perfect tool for users with a low budget. In terms of usability, the plugin is friendly to beginners but also offers an API for advanced users.
The Squirrly, on the other hand, offers a complete SEO suite with less complicated elements which makes it easy to use and maintain hence suitable for SEO non-experts. The plugin helps beginners to compete with experienced SEO experts through the creation of search engine and reader-friendly content. However, Squirrly is only free for only five posts a month and you may require to pay $29 per month if you need to write more.
Choosing the Best SEO Plugin
Choosing the right SEO plugin may vary depending on your site needs. It is therefore important to assess your SEO needs to determine the best plugin for your site. You can visit https://serpbook.com to learn more on how to conduct a site audit and SEO analysis to determine your SEO requirements. Once you have identified your needs, you should look for a plugin that offers almost all the features required to satisfy your needs.
Most WordPress SEO plugins provide the same basic features which ensure that content published on your website is optimized for search engines and 100 percent on-page compliance with search engine requirements/ policies. However, the many plugins differ in terms of extra features they offer.