India’s Ministry of Communications & Information Technology has announced that, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has completed all 7-step application process for the auction of 1800MHz & 900MHz spectrum.
The spectrum auction will begin from February 3, 2014.
8 applicants have successfully completed the application process, including the last one that required them to send Bidder Ownership Compliance Certificate on or before January 23, 2014. Because, all of them have submitted the required documents, the next process should begin today.
7 steps complete so far are as follows:
- Issue of Notice Inviting Applications – December 12, 2013
- Pre-bid conference – December 20, 2013
- Last date for seeking clarifications on NIA – December 24, 2013
- Clarifications to NIA – January 2, 2014
- Last date for submission of applications – January 15, 2014
- Publication of ownership details of applicants –January 20, 2014
- Bidder Ownership Compliance Certificate –January 23, 2014
Following are the 8 applicants to bid for the auction
- Vodafone India Limited
- Bharti Airtel Limited
- Aircel Limited
- Idea Cellular Limited
- Tata Teleservices Limited
- Reliance Gio Infocomm Limited
- Telewings Communications Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Reliance Communications Limited
Next step for the auction is, assessment about the pre-qualification of these bidders which should be announced tomorrow January 25, 2014. Above bidders who have submitted the documents will have time till January 27, 2014 to withdraw their application from this 1800 MHz & 900 MHz spectrum auction.
These companies could be using the 1,800-MHz spectrum for offering the voice and 4G broadband services to the consumers.
Indian mobile service providers are struggling to give decent speeds over 3G networks despite asking for hefty prices for the bandwidth, causing plenty of frustration for plenty of users across the country.
It would be interesting to see the prices offered to the consumers & how these companies improve their services. According to the reports; Reliance Jio is all-set with their strategy post auction, to create sustainable competition among existing players.