Table of Contents
Samsung yesterday launched both of their latest versions for their tablet lineup under Galaxy Tab 2 in US. The Galaxy Tab 2 series consist of 7 inch & 10.1 inch tablets powered by Android ICS 4.0.
Galaxy Tab 2 series pre-order for 7 inch tablet for US begins today April 12, 2012 and would become available in retail stores from April 22, 2012 – while 10.1 inch tablet pre-order shall begin by May 4th and would ship by May 14th.
Both of these tablets were showcased in MWC 2012, Barcelona earlier this year.
Galaxy Tab 2 – 7 inch & 10.1 inch hardware specifications remains almost the same as earlier editions except that, they primarily have Ice Cream Sandwich pre-installed.
New features in Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
As I said, both 7 inch & 10.1 inch tablet carry same processor & RAM as earlier Galaxy Series – there are few new interesting features added in to them.
- Android ICS 4.0 OS
- MicroSD card slot supported for up to 32GB. This is in addition to the USB connector which can be used for pen drives.
- IR port: This is interesting since we can now use our tablets as a remote control for Televisions or other entertainment devices.
- TV-to-Tablet mirroring feature is available in Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 – but supported only for Samsung 7000 series LED HDTVs and higher.
- Free one-year subscription with Dropbox for 50GB storage space
- Remote Viewfinder feature for using it in connection with Samsung Wi-Fi cameras. We can control viewfinder, shutter speed, zoom or flash of the camera from tablet screen.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Price
To stay in the competition, Samsung has priced these new tablets at 20-30% discount rates than earlier. In US – 7.0 tablet price is approx. $250 & $400 for 10.1 inch.
Should I buy these tablets?
Well, the decision is tricky. Because, the newer versions are not 4G ready and don’t have phone calling feature which I would have loved to see.
Also, Samsung is coming up with even more awesome looking Galaxy Note 10.1 with pen – that tablet has better hardware specs, full of amazing features and seems to give much better user experience we have ever had on tablets.
Samsung Galaxy Note is already very popular & the company has already sold more than 5 million handsets.
If you ask me, I would stay away from these new tablets. Go for it ONLY if you’re interested in the new features of Galaxy Tab 2 series.
We don’t have information about the pricing or release date for Galaxy Tab 2 in India as yet. We shall keep you informed if there is any news about it.
What’s your take? Do let us know through comments.