Did you ever look for a free alternative to Team Viewer, screen sharing via Skype for Desktop Sharing or Web Conferencing needs? I did and found this great tool called Mikogo which is amazingly easy to use and it is completely FREE. Mikogo is a Swahili word that means ‘to show’ or ‘to display’.
There are many products available like GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, Netviewer, Webex on the Internet but none of them are 100% free.
Why do we need Desktop Sharing or Web Conferencing Tools?
- Help friends solve their programming, designing, computer related problems by seeing their computer screen live instead of blindly talking on phone or text messaging through Instant Messengers
- Share desktop screen with client to discuss about website design or software development
- Create an online seminar (Webinar) to share your knowledge, online learning etc
- Product demonstrations with audio especially in cases where physical appearance is not possible
- Remote support to clients to help them with website or software
Why pick Mikogo?
Unrestricted version of Mikogo is completely free for private users. It works on Freemium model where the software can be downloaded and used without any cost and there is no need to register an account nor give any personal details.
It can be used for commercial purpose with low-cost investment with more business benefits such as logo branding and customization.
Desktop Sharing on Mikogo is really nice and performance is at par with other commercial products. It is possible to zoom-in to a 21″ screen on a 10″ netbook screen with no lag at all. Because it is developed keeping online demos or presentations in focus, there has to be another person online in a session which means this is a targeted product for specific requirements.
We can write notes on a ‘whiteboard’ or can let other person write on our screen and it is also possible to record all these screen sessions.
Another interesting feature is, we can either choose to share entire screen or only specific application windows with other person. This makes things easy where you wouldn’t like to share desktop images or you can still work in other software without letting other person know about it.
There is nothing more to talk about it because using Mikogo is very simple and effective than writing about it 🙂
Mikogo offers plenty of features like
- Desktop Sharing
- Multiple Meeting Participants
- Switch Presenter
- Remote Keyboard and Mouse Control
- Initial Viewing Direction and Remote Control Settings
- Remote Shortcuts
- HTML Viewer
- Session Scheduler
- Session Recording and Playback
- Profile Manager
- File/Clipboard Transfer
- Application Selection
- Back Monitor
- Multi-Monitor Support
- Participant Pointer
- Copy-Paste or Email Meeting Info
- Pause Transmission
- Adjust Speed/Quality Settings
- Multiple Languages
- Disabling Specific Features
- Participant Emoticons
How to start a session? (Video)
How to join a session? (Video)
Hope you like it. Do send in your comments and LIKE our Facebook page to get latest updates. Just a click away 🙂
*Important Update: Mikogo is NOT FREE anymore.
Sadly, yes. The company recently decided to discontinue their Freemium software model. All the Mikogo Packages even though they are cheap & affordable – are now paid. See the pricing.