Here comes again and this time – in a much simpler format that ever! An Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1
Chronic-Dev team’s latest Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak tool is based on exploits found by @pod2g, @planetbeing, @pimskeks. Their work & brain is phenomenal. They keep bringing these jailbreak tools despite the fact that – with every new release, Apple tend to patch security holes but these people find newer ones to work with.
Absinthe 2.0 is probably the easiest jailbreak method after. Just a simple click, Jailbreak & restore your device from iTunes.
Many people are aware of jailbreaking through Dev-Team’s tools would find this process a lot easier than the newer users. So, let’s quickly run through some details.
System Requirements for Absinthe
Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak tool is compatible with these systems.
- Mac OSX 10.5 / 10.6 / 10.7
- Windows XP / Vista / 7
- Linux x86 / x86 64bit
Absinthe Supported Devices
This newer jailbreak is supported for the latest firmware iOS 5.1.1 on following devices. For older versions of the iOS you can use Redsn0w, Pwnage Tool or Sn0wbreeze.
- iPad 3 (WiFi / CDMA / Global)
- iPad 2 (WiFi / CDMA / GSM)
- iPad 1
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4 (GSM), iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod 4G
- iPod 3G
- iPad 2 WiFi R2 (latest model)
- Apple TV 2
- Apple TV 3
Download Absinthe 2.0.4 for Windows, Mac & Linux
How to start Absinthe jailbreak procedure
- Connect your device with iTunes and select ‘Backup‘ by right-clicking the device’s name on the left-pane.
- Once the backup is finished – Go to your device > Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
- While keeping the device connected with USB cable – open downloaded zip file & extract it to see absinthe-win-2.0.exe
- Absinthe will extract data & the jailbreak tool. You should see a similar screen shown below on Windows.
- Once the extraction is complete, you should now see a folder named “absinthe-win-2.0” containing data folder, change log, readme and absinthe.exe
- Double click to open absinthe.exe and it will show you the following screen. (Make sure your device is connected to the system)
- Just hit Jailbreak button and wait patiently until the process is complete. Do not remove / disconnect your device from the USB cable.
- Let the process finish.
- Done! Your device is now jailbroken untethered.
Restore Backup from iTunes
Once the jailbreak process is done, go to iTunes > Right click on device name > select ‘Restore From Backup’ > Pick the latest backup you created in first steps mentioned above.
Doing this – will bring back everything that you had on your device before resetting it. So, no need to panic.
This is untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 and not an iPhone unlock tool. Also, there is no need to re-apply the same jailbreak if you find newer Absinthe version in future.
Absinthe 2.0 untethered jailbreak is also available through familiar Redsn0w tool. But, if you’re not looking for various other options – Absinthe is for you.
Update: Absinthe 2.0.2
Absinthe is now updated to version 2.0.2 which supports iPhone 4 (GSM) 5.1.1b build 9B208 for untethered jailbreak. Latest version also fixed a bug which causes the jailbreak process to hang in some situations.
Update: Absinthe 2.0.4
Another updated version includes- improved device detection and communication code, iPad 2,4 support & lock down error -5 workaround fix. I updated the download links above for the latest version.
Absinthe jailbreak without formatting or without resetting device
This newer jailbreak can be applied without formatting or without resetting the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Yes, its possible. However, the developers of Absinthe strongly suggest of backing up & formatting the device because – doing so, will speed up the jailbreak process. Also – this would make sure the jailbreak is happening on a clean install, reducing the chances of conflicts to arise if any.
Enjoy iOS 5.1.1 & thanks to Chronic Dev Team.
If you have any questions – then you can follow Dev-Team blog for updates. You can also comment below with your questions and I will try my best to reply back.