Table of Contents
Samsung Electronics launched a whole new version of their Galaxy Tab to compete against Apple iPad, HTC Flyer and Motorola Xoom as their latest entry in to the tablet war we’re witnessing these days. This new tab is launched in Korea, Indonesia, US, Sweden and Italy. It was available as limited edition US since June. India launch is not yet scheduled but it should be available in India by August-September 2011.
Apple’s recent quarterly results were great and their iPad 2 is a top-selling tablet in the markets and Samsung looks set to take on the competition by pricing this new thinner, faster and better tablet for same price as iPad 2 at $500.
New Samsung Galaxy Tab is equipped with 10.1 inch WXGA-TFT (1280 x 800) screen, Android 3.1 Honeycomb OS (3.2 update should available very soon), 1GHz dual-core Nvidia Tegra processor, 16GB internal memory, WiFi, Flash Player, 1080p playback, 720p video capture and it is only 8.6 mm thick making it the first thinnest touch tablet in the world.
There are limited apps available for Honeycomb tablets as of now but we can expect more apps very soon. TouchWiz UI includes a ‘Mini Apps’ tray for commonly used apps such as task manager, calendar, music player that can be launched while other major applications are already in use.
Specifications & Features
- Carrier: Wi-Fi Only
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Tablet
- Design: Gray Back
- Operating System: Android 3.1, Honeycomb
- Camera: Front Camera: 2.0 Megapixel, Rear Camera: 3.0 Megapixel Auto Focus with Flash
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 10.1″ (W) x 6.9″ (H) x 0.34″ (D)
- 16GB Internal Memory
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, 2.4GHz, 5GHz Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR Connectivity
- Display: 10.1” Widescreen HD WXGA TFT Display
- Audio: MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WAV, AMR, MID, IMY, WMA, Vorbis, RTTTL/RTX, OTA
- Video: 1080p playback, 720p capture Video Codec: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, XviD, WMV7/8, VP8, MP43, VC-1 Format: 3GP(MP4), WMV(asf), AVI
- Fun and Entertainment: Full HTML Web Browser, Books, Browser, Email, Gallery, Gmail™, Google Maps™, Android Market, Google Search™, Google Talk™, Voice Search, Latitude, Music Hub, Navigation, Places, Pulse, QuickOffice, Samsung Apps, YouTube, Music Player
- Business and Office: DOCUMENT FILES – Word File: doc, docx, xml, txt, rtf, dot, dotx Excel File: xls, xlsx, csv, xlt, xltx PowerPoint: ppt, pptx, pot, potx, pps, ppsx PDF: pdf
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is priced at $499 in US. My guess for India price is around Rs. 32,000/- since their 7.1 inch tablet is available for Rs.26,000/-
Since many of us now have 3G on phones we wouldn’t really need to use it on tablets and spend more money for that kind of hardware. Having WiFi only version makes sense for such scenarios. Also, it is very easy to use tablet for people who aren’t tech-savvy like you. So your wife, parents can use it with ease.
Built-in speakers, Bright display, Inexpensive, Durable, Lightweight, popular office features, long battery life, great camera are some of the positive points people are speaking about it. Some of them also preferred Galaxy Tab over iPad.
iPad 2 camera is very sad compared to the Samsung Tab but they should have offered 5 megapixel camera. I also could not understand why these new tabs are not coming up with Bluetooth 3 or 4 instead of the same old 2.1!
I have so far ruled out of an option to buy iPad 2 unless I see iPad 3 with Flash Player and now I have so far zeroed down to HTC Flyer and this new Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab.
Just when I praised their decision on omitting 3G connectivity & its additional hardware requirement inside – Samsung is now all set to launch (on 28th July) Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 4G (LTE) connectivity. They have also tied up with Verizon for providing the service.
16GB is priced at $530 while 64GB will be available for $630.
Looks like they’ve taken another step to beat the most successful tablet in the market – Apple iPad. I hope you like this Tab. Buzz us to share your experience.
Go Galaxy-ous 🙂
Source: Samsung Korea